Monday, September 19, 2011

It Was Bound to Happen

Well, Raul and I have had a busy couple days. On Saturday around noon he was discharged, but unfortunately we never left the hospital. I hadn't been feeling great, and we went to the ER with the hope of me being able to get some fluids and be good to go. That did not happen, and I was admitted to the cardiac floor for monitoring with him with me. Once up on the floor, we took both our temperatures, then went right back down to the ER as he had a high fever again. They tried to get an IV in him down there, and it was just torture, which ended in his whole right hand being one big blood blister. Eventually they admitted him to the cardiac floor as well so that he could stay with me. We were able to stay together that night, which was nice. The next day I was cleared from a cardiac standpoint, so they decided to move us back down to the 8th floor where we had been the past six weeks. When we arrived they said we could sleep in the same room, but then that changed, and much to my dismay they separated us.

Around the same time that discussion was happening, two different teams came to try to start IVs on Raul. We were able to draw blood, but were not able to get a line in (not a surprise, regular IVs don't work for him). So then it was decided that he needed to have urgent surgery to place a central line that night. I was not allowed to go with him, so he went off at midnight for surgery. We got baby monitors so I could hear him in his room, and they were supposed to wake me up so I could check on him when he got back, but they didn't, so that was frustrating. This morning I was allowed to go back to his room with him, and learned that they couldn't get in the line they wanted, and ended up doing a femoral line, which has been really painful for him.

The reason they put the line in was to start antibiotics again since he had high fevers and a high white count. He has been feeling pretty sick today, and napping a lot. Then this afternoon they decided to pull his femoral line, as it is just likely to get infected too. They are going to start an oral antibiotic, which should have been started in the first place, as it treats all the infections he has had so far. It is more than a little frustrating that he was put through surgery and a lot of pain when he could have just had an oral medicine.

I, on the other hand, will hopefully be discharged this afternoon. I have gotten some rest and some fluids, and hopefully that will be enough. I am looking forward to being able to sleep back in Raul's room again, and not have to be separated from him when he is so sick.


  1. Prayers for you and Raul . He's such a Lucky little guy to have you . You're an inspiration.

  2. Wish I was there to help, even though I know you are capable despite feeling yucky. Hang on, things will get better, and reinforcements are on the way!

  3. Hoping that things start to look up for both you and Raul.

  4. Wow! That's really a rough few days. Glad you are feeling better and hoping Raul's temp will respond to the meds.

  5. Praying for both of you. It sounds like a pretty traumatic couple of days for both of you. I'm glad you are feeling better and pray that Raul will soon be ready to be released again.

  6. Glad you and Raul are out of the hospital! Hope you can stay out for awhile. You are amazing! I don't see how you do it all and keep your spirits up. Raul is a lucky little guy to have you in his life! Love you, Grandma