When we got to the hospital he was quickly taken to an acute bed, and assessed. They did an abdominal and chest x-ray, and placed an IV (after a few tries). We were up to the PICU very quickly after that. There he was mostly monitored, and we only had to stay one night. They did an upper GI study then, which showed a new esophageal stricture, only three weeks after his last surgery. He was acting really lethargic when we were going to be discharged, so they decided to keep him a few hours longer, but then he perked back up and we went home. The next day he had a temp. of 103 and we were sent back to the ER. This time they didn't even run labs, just said he looked okay and sent us home (after a few hours of waiting).
Resting in the PICU
Getting ready to head down to surgery
We were admitted to the regular floor this time, and they monitored him over night. The next day he had his dilatation late morning. They were surprised to find that he was not actually as tight as the upper GI had shown or his symptoms indicated, but they did dilate his full esophagus to see if it would help. He had a horrible time waking up from anesthesia this time, and was screaming, hitting, and flailing for a long time even after receiving multiple medications. He did have some gagging that day, and the next morning, but hasn't since, which is great!
In the OR holding room
Later that evening he spiked a temp. of 104, and his HR was in the 200's for a good amount of time, as high as 226. This worried everyone, and they took a blood culture and more labs. He got tylenol, but still cannot have motrin due to the GI bleed. He was also put on multiple antibiotics. He was so hot, I got hot just standing next to him. We were supposed to be discharged the next morning, but this fever bought us another day/night in the hospital. He continued to have some lower grade fevers, but was fever free when discharged and luckily still is now. They did a viral panel, urine culture, and blood culture, but we still don't really know what made him so sick. His skin was looking really good, but before discharge they did a couple cultures just to make sure he still has the same bacteria and that the antibiotics will work if it were a skin infection.
Watching TV while he had his high fever. You can't tell in the pictures, but he turned really red from being so hot.
We came home Thursday afternoon, and are so happy to be out of the hospital! Raul went to school Friday since he had been fever free, and apparently was very happy to be back there too. His teacher said he did well during circle time, paid attention to the other kids, and even matched his picture to a shape like they do for attendance. He has been happily playing at home, and seems to be feeling a lot better, other than the antibiotics giving him some stomach trouble. Hopefully this will be the end of the medical saga for a while, and we can get back to our normal routine!
Playing this morning